Closes: 04 Oct
Wollongong is a vibrant, diverse city, situated on one of Australia's most picturesque coastlines. Regarded as Australia's most liveable regional city, Wollongong offers a relaxed, coastal lifestyle with all the benefits of a major city.
Wollongong City Council is committed to the principles of employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds in both traditional and non-traditional roles.
Cadetship up to 7 years
Salary from $961.96 per week plus superannuation
Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning
Recruitment No. 21111
Shape the future of Wollongong and start your career in Urban and Regional Planning as a Planning Cadet!
We are seeking a motivated person to join Council’s Development Assessment and Certification and City Strategy Divisions, where you will have direct involvement in a number of exciting projects being progressed by the Strategic Planning and Development Assessment teams.
What is an Urban Planner?
Planning is the process of making decisions to guide future action. The planning profession (which is also referred to as ‘urban planning’ or ‘town planning’) is specifically concerned with shaping liveable cities, towns and regions. Planners specialise in developing strategies and plans, assessing development applications for buildings and designing the communities in which we live, work and play. Balancing the built and natural environment, community needs, cultural significance, and economic sustainability, planners aim to improve our quality of life and create vibrant communities.
This is a 7-year cadetship undertaking a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning or related degree. Alongside your university studies, you will gain valuable work experience across a range of different teams and receive ongoing support and guidance to jump start a rewarding role in Local Government.
We are looking for someone who…
- Is eligible to enrol in 2022 into the Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning or related degree through a university accredited by the Planning Institute of Australia
- Has a genuine interest in environment and sustainability, land development, urban design, human geography, and social and economic impacts
- Is reliable and self-motivated to take responsibility for their own development and learning
- Can adapt to and work effectively within a variety of changing situations
- Will seek and accept constructive advice from mentors and more experienced colleagues
- Is well organised and has the ability to work as part of a team
- Has the ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise judgement and discretion
- Has a current P1 drivers licence (desirable)
If this sounds like YOU, we encourage you to apply!
For this role you are required to upload a current resume and complete a Selection Criteria Questionnaire which can be found HERE
For more information including HOW TO APPLY please refer to the information pack below.
Please contact Learning and Capability Team on (02) 4227 8694.
Questions regarding submitting your application online please contact our Recruitment Team on (02) 4227 7065.
Applications close at 11.59pm on Monday 4 October 2021
We are adhering to NSW Public Health Guidelines with regard to COVID19. As such this recruitment action will be conducted in line with public health orders eg potentially online interviews.
Applicants are required to undergo a rigorous employment screening process which will include Reference, Identity and Medical History Checks, and may also include a Criminal History and Working with Children Check. Employment is subject to clearance of all these checks.