Environmental Health Officer
Closes: 14 Aug
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH OFFICER
About the Role
We are seeking applications for a passionate and experienced professional to join Council’s Compliance Team. Reporting to the Team Leader Environmental Health Officer, this position requires the successful applicant to be an integral and dynamic member of the Environmental Health Team with the ability to multi-skill in all required aspects of the Local Government regulatory functions.
Working at Wollondilly Shire Council means you will be provided with a flexible and inclusive working environment that provides a positive, productive and highly skilled workforce where every employee has the opportunity to learn and grow.
You will help to achieve our vision to make Wollondilly even better, together. You will also live our corporate values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Embrace Innovation.
Salary and Conditions
- Permanent Full-Time position
- Salary commencing from $82,803 per annum, commensurate with the skills and experience of the successful applicant
- 9.5% Superannuation
- 35 hours per week with participation in Council’s flex-time system
- A leaseback vehicle is available with this position, however this is not a condition of employment
- Health and Wellbeing Programs
- Ongoing learning and development opportunities
Essential Experience and Minimum Qualifications
- Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Health or a relevant discipline with a minimum of two (2) years relevant work experience.
- Ability to solve problems and work with minimum supervision in a team environment in relation to public health requirements and associated regulatory activities, enforcement and assessment process of the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW), Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997, Public Health Act 2010, Food Act 2003, Swimming Pools Act 1992 – Swimming Pools Amendment Act 2012 and the POEO – (Underground Petroleum Storage Systems) Regulations Act 2019.
- Experience in audit and reporting of food shop premises to ensure the NSW Food Handling Standards are maintained in accordance with the Food Act.
- Current Drivers Licence.
Personal Attributes, Communication and Team Work
- Demonstrated commitment to Council’s Corporate ICARE Values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Embrace Innovation.
- Demonstrated experience in effective communication and negotiated situations, relevant to the position, in order to achieve quality service, high standards, demonstrated efficiencies and internal and external customer relationships.
- Ability to communicate, influence, educate and negotiate effectively within all levels of the organisation, Government Departments and the public on all matters relevant to the position.
- High level communication skills and ability to maintain a positive customer service philosophy when dealing with others.
Level of Planning, Problem Solving and Budget
- Demonstrated ability to provide timely, relevant and quality professional advice to staff and external customers.
- Evidence to support the ability to plan, prioritise, think and solve problems on a day-to-day basis and collaborate as the situation requires.
- Responsible for the timely raising of invoices, conscious of cost implications and the outputs of the Team.
- Demonstrated experience in applying continuous improvement and ability to embrace and implement change in a challenging environment.
- Experience in illegal dumping investigations.
- Experience and knowledge in the operation of on-site sewage management systems.
- Experience in the assessment of noise/odour reports and investigation of complaints.
Further Information: Robyn Cooper, Manager Health and Regulatory Services on 4677 9502.
Closing Date: 5.00pm Friday, 14 August 2020.
To be considered for this position, candidates must apply via Council’s website: Wollondilly Employment Opportunities and answer the position specific selection criteria as listed in this advertisement. Those not addressing the selection criteria will not be considered.
Preferred applicants will be required to undertake a pre-placement medical. This includes drug and alcohol screening. The preferred applicant may also be required to undertake a Police Background Check, Credential Check and Bankruptcy Check.
‘Wollondilly Shire Council is committed to Workplace Diversity’