Closes: 26 Apr
Yass Valley Council - Lifestyle Opportunity
Yass Valley is a growing and prosperous regional community which offers a great country lifestyle in close proximity to Canberra. It provides a diverse rural and natural setting, heritage towns and villages and relaxed lifestyle opportunities, all with easy access to the rich sporting, cultural and educational opportunities across the region.
Lead and drive Council’s certification functions including building and fire certification and all activities undertaken by the principal certifier, to ensure an efficient, timely, customer centric and proactive service is provided.
The Position Description containing detailed information on the role is available on Yass Valley Council’s website www.yassvalley.nsw.gov.au.
- Provide professional advice to management and customers in relation to building and safety matters.
- Maintain registration under the building and Building and Development Certifiers Act 2018.
- Assess, determine and monitor a wide range of applications including but not limited to development applications, complying development applications, construction certificates, occupation certificates and building information certificates in accordance with the requirements of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000, National Construction Code (Building Code of Australia) and other relevant legislation.
- Assess and determine swimming pool certificate applications, plumbing, drainage and stormwater applications and carry out relevant inspections as relevant to the Swimming Pools Act 1992, Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 and Local Government Act 1993;
- Develop and integrate an improved planning, certification and approvals framework and system.
- Undertake the statutory functions of an accredited certifier and ensure certification functions and services are compliant with regulations, building codes and standards.
- Tertiary qualification in Building Surveying or equivalent and current registration as a Building Surveyor Restricted Class 1 & 10 Buildings (A3) or higher under the Building and Development Certifiers Act 2018.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative requirements and experience in performing the role of a practicing Building Surveyor.
- A thorough working knowledge of the National Construction Code (Building Code of Australia) and NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Legislation.
- Construction Induction Card (White card).
- A current class 'C' driver's licence
We are committed to creating a positive culture and strong team environment, and offer a range of benefits:
- Targeted training opportunities
- Education assistance program
- Long Service Leave after 5 Years
- 9 Day Fortnight
- Health & Wellbeing program - flu vaccinations, and injury prevention program.
- Job security in a local government position
- An inclusive culture where all our people are valued, EEO, diversity and differences are respected
- A focus on our peoples’ safety and wellbeing.
Ranging from $75,056 - $81,061 Plus 9.5% Superannuation depending on skills and experience.
This is a permanent full-time position with a nine-day fortnight. A leaseback vehicle will also be available.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, applications must be sent to HR@yass.nsw.gov.au with the following included:-
- A cover letter which addresses your ability to undertake the Key Accountabilities and evidence you meet the Essential Requirements as outlined in the Position Description (2 pages or less)
- Response to the Targeted Questions below (no more than ½ page on each targeted question)
- Your CV as relevant to this role (5 pages or less)
- A copy of your Driver Licence as relevant to the role.
- Proof of right to work in Australia eg birth certificate, passport, visa.
- What do you see as the key challenges facing the Building Certification industry?
- What strategies and or techniques do you use in conflict situations? In answering this question please provide an example of how you have applied these skills as a Building Surveyor.
- What, if any, are the key differences between the role of a Building Surveyor/Certifier in the private and public sectors?
Applications must be sent to HR@yass.nsw.gov.au by 5pm on Monday 26 April 2021.
For enquiries contact John Mannweiler, Manager Development control on 0428 653 607 during business hours